In my quest to eat bigger breakfasts that are not pasta, I’ve stumbled upon the best thing ever: avocado for breakfast. Even after ten years of living in Paris, I never really got into the whole croissant with jam or pain au chocolat in the morning. Sweets just aren’t my thing — ever, really, but especially not in the morning. I’ve been surviving on big bowls of pasta to get me through the morning until lunch time, sometimes followed by…more pasta in the afternoon…then sometimes more pasta for dinner. I think you get the point: I eat way too much pasta!
I don’t usually have time for much in the mornings, and have been desperately trying to find a few morning recipes that work for me: easy, fast, and filling.
So I’m alllll about avocado toasts these days, because the combinations are endless, they still feel like breakfast and come together in under ten minutes. Here’s the latest addition to my avocado toast arsenal – enjoy 🙂
- ½ of an avocado
- 1 tablespoon of heavy cream (or greek yogurt to cut out a few calories)
- 1 soft-boiled egg*
- 1 big slice of bread, toasted**
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Chives (optional)
Servings: this makes breakfast for 1, but can easily be doubled/tripled for more 🙂
- Combine the avocado and cream in a small bowl until smooth (or keep it chunky – that’s good too!)
- Spread your avocado and cream mixture evenly on the toast – don’t forget to go all the way to the edge.
- Place your soft-boiled egg on top, then season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve with a few cherry tomatoes and top with some chives.
*You guys, this Cook’s Illustrated-inspired technique for perfect soft-boiled eggs is the bomb. Really. If you love soft-boiled eggs, but don’t love struggling to get them perfectly cooked with a beautiful golden runny yolk, then look no further: http://www.macheesmo.com/soft-boiled-eggs-a-giveaway/
**I toast my bread in our oven (the same one that exploded) and spray on a bit of olive oil cooking spray: comes out soooo good. Here’s the spray I use, if you want to get an idea:
Fry Light extra virgin olive oil spray
***If you still haven’t made these avocado egg toasts, then please stop reading and eat these now — so good!