Happy Friday, y’all!
This recipe was meant to be “Black bean quesadillas” but then I thought… what if I had something other than beans & cheese for dinner, you know, to healthify this recipe a little bit? Then I looked over to the two uneaten bags of kale sitting in my fridge and I realized that I should stop avoiding them and see if I could sneak them into this recipe. The only reason I even bought them is because they were on sale, and I thought I should finally give Kale a try.
See, I have had a bit of a hang up with Le Kale, until only very recently. I know it’s supposed to be a super food, and be super good for you, but something about just how fashionable it became turned me off. When I was living in Paris, Kale was pretty much the coolest thing ever! Parisians were obsessed with le Kale, and were putting it in everything. Everything! People are even out here walking around in t-shirts with “Kale” printed on them! So naturally given all the hype, I thought this was another food fad that would come and go. You see, I’m a spinach lover, and I’ve resisted this food trend for a while thinking that Kale and Spinach offer essentially the same benefits and nutrients (which is more or less true). Then, I tasted a kale Mac ‘n cheese recipe. And everything changed. The stuff’s delicious, y’all!
For a pretty good breakdown on the Kale vs Spinach debate, check out what Huffington Post has to say about it:http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2013/07/02/kale-vs-spinach_n_3534191.html
So here’s how I transformed my classic black bean quesadillas to a nutrient-packed (and trendy 😉) vegetarian meal, perfect for getting dinner on the table in under 20 minutes and still keeping it totally healthy. You guys — these black bean kale quesadillas are legit!! Easy, filling and healthy – make these now…! 🙂
In other blogging news, I’m super excited to announce that I’ve started building a Yummly recipe catalog (which you can check out here) and have also become a Yummly publisher! It’s super convenient to have all of my recipes in one place, and I can also look up other amazing recipes from other sources — win win!
All you need to do is browse the picture index on my Yummy publisher page, and when you see a recipe you like just click it and yummly will bring you back to the recipe here on seefoodplay.com.
If you want to add one of my recipes then just click the “Yum” button to share 😉
- 2 teaspoons of olive oil
- 1 cup of Kale, sautéed in olive oil & a dash of garlic powder until tender
- 1 can of black beans
- 1 cup of shredded cheddar cheese
- 4 flour tortillas
- 1 cup of homemade salsa (or jarred salsa if you are in a hurry!)
- Cilantro for garnish
- Mix together your kale, beans, salsa and cheese in a small bowl and set aside.
- Add some olive oil to a large frying pan and heat on medium for about 30 seconds.
- Place your tortilla in the pan, then add a few ablespoons of the bean mixture to half of the tortilla, then fold over the other half to create a half-moon shape.
- Cook for 2-3 minutes on each side or until nice and golden.
- Repeat steps with the remaining tortillas and bean mixture.
- Serve with a few cherry tomatoes and some fresh chopped cilantro.