Have you ever been in the mood for something sweet, but don’t have many ingredients to work with (or the energy to whip up something elaborate)? This doesn’t happen to me very often (I’ll take pasta over sweets almost any day), but when it does I never seem to have anything sweet on-hand. Despite Jonathan’s pleas (bad wife 😈), I never buy sweets or candy during our weekly grocery shops, so it’s never a question of just opening some cookies or eating an ice cream… if we want something sweet, then we gotta work for it.
- 1/2 cup of popcorn kernels
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup of caramel cream sauce
- Kitchen tool: large nonstick pot or pan with a tight-fitting lid
- Pour your popcorn kernels and oil into a large bowl and mix until the kernels are nice and coated in the oil*
- Transfer the kernels to your pan or pot, then heat on medium-low until you hear the kernels start to pop.
- Once the popping starts, turn the heat up a bit to accelerate the process and keep on the heat until the pops are less-frequent (about less than 1 pop every 3-4 seconds). Important: If you smell burning at all then remove the pot from the heat – no sense ruining an entire batch of popcorn to get a few more kernels popped!
- Now that your popcorn is popped, add it back into the large mixing bowl and slowly pour the caramel in until the kernels are nice and evenly coated.
- Sprinkle with sea salt, turn on Netflix and get ready to enjoy the perfect snack for binge watching Orange is the New Black 😉