Y’all… if you want a vegan and vegetarian-friendly meal that comes together with about 2 minutes of prep, and cooks in one pot… in less than 30 minutes… then this recipe is for you!! This orzo pasta and vegetable recipe is the perfect weekday or weeknight lunch or dinner recipe, it’s totally adaptable and you can use any veggies that you happen to have on hand. The end result is a savory, filling and healthy pasta dish that the whole family is sure to love.
I N G R E D I E N T S
- Orzo or risoni (rice-shaped pasta)
- Chicken (or vegetable) stock powder
- Lemon (optional – to taste)
- Olive oil
- Salt & pepper
- Head a few tablespoons of olive oil in a non-stick pan.
- Put 250 grams of orzo or risoni in the pot over a medium heat and sauté until toasted and a golden brown color.
- Add your vegetables of choice – I used courgettes, mushrooms and broccoli.
- Sauté over medium heat for 2-3 minutes, then dissolve a vegetable stock cube in 100ml of water and pour over the orzo and vegetables.
- Reduce the heat to medium low, and simmer until the pasta is al dente.
Tip: if your pasta is still a bit undercooked by the time all the water has evaporated, then add in a few tablespoons of water and give it a good stir. The end result should not be soupy – you want all the water absorbed, leaving a rich and flavorful sauce.